Monday, August 24, 2026

Overall PCT Day 124

<--PREVIOUS                                                  HOME                                                NEXT--> 

2026 PCT Day 8, 22 August 2026 (Saturday)

Overall PCT Day 124

"No Spring In My Steps"

 

Start Location:

Kangaroo Spring, Mi. 1667.5

Destination:

PCT Mi. 1696.6

PCT Miles Day 117:

29.1

Cum PCT Miles:

2249.8

Non-PCT Miles Day1.9117:

1.9

Cum All Miles:

2454.0

PCT Miles Remaining:

396.5



Elevation Gain Day 117:

5357

Cum Elevation Gain: 

396,329


The wind somewhat died down in the middle of the night, but was still occasionally very gusty. My new tent held up really well. I’m pretty happy about that, because you never really know about your tent until it is tested by the elements.

Part of the process of getting your trail legs (pretty funny, Apple Voice Translation thought I said “trail eggs”) back is that all your discomfort turns into numbness. Your thirst, your hunger, your achy feet, your tired legs, your general exhaustion, the feeling of layers and layers of sticky dirt, grime and sweat. Everything just turns numb. It’s part of how you just keep going long day after long day.

The water situation wasn't great today.  Several so called "reliable" springs were dry.  Good thing I have been careful to ration my water.  If you drink everything too soon, you may have to hike many miles without a drop to drink.  Also, once again, there was a lot of intense bushwhacking today.  It helped that today had the mildest temperatures since I started eight days ago. If it had been very warm to hot like it has been most of the days, the bad water situation would’ve been much worse.

Oh, by the way, I finished California today. Since I finished Washington in 2022, that’s two states down and one to go. And I should get to Ashland, Oregon tomorrow, a day early.

Breakfast view

The USFS is a proud sponsor the Let's Prove Them Right Foundation, a foundation dedicated to proving right all those people that say the Government is incompetent.  The USFS is determined to be the most incompetent agency of them all, as shown by the complete inability to maintain a the prestigious PCT.

The USFS is a proud sponsor the Kill The Joy Foundation, a foundation that hates hikers and just loves to kill their joy.

The USFS is a proud sponsor the Why Is It Our Problem Foundation.  The Why Is It Our Problem Foundation, in partnership with the Don't Make Your Problem Our Problem Foundation is dedicated to saying "what, don't look at me."

There are a lot of spaces like this in the area I'm in right now, it's kind of interesting.

Somebody should really rake up this forest

The USFS is a proud sponsor of the Just Suck It Up Bro Foundation.  The Just Suck It Up Bro Foundation, in partnership with the Nobody's Forcing You To Do This Foundation is dedicated to responding to whiners by saying "just suck it up bro."

Large cairn with Mt. Shasta in the background

Third times the charm, what a great sight...running water

Approaching the California/Oregon border

Me, finishing CA and crossing into OR

One more border pic



 <--PREVIOUS                                                                                                        NEXT-->

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment