Sunday, September 6, 2026

Overall PCT Day 127

<--PREVIOUS                                                     HOME                                             NEXT--> 

2026 PCT Day 11, 25 August 2026 (Tuesday)

Overall PCT Day 127

"Trail Eggs"

 

Start Location:

Ashland, OR, Mi. 1719.2

Destination:

Hyatt Lake CG - Mi. 1744.2

PCT Miles Day 127:

25.0

Cum PCT Miles:

2297.4

Non-PCT Miles Day 127:

0.5

Cum All Miles:

2503.0

PCT Miles Remaining:

348.9



Elevation Gain Day 127:

3715

Cum Elevation Gain: 

401,851

 

My original plan was to leave Ashland after lunch and hike just a few hours in the afternoon. However, it has been very hot here, it was close to 100° here yesterday. And since I got to Ashland a day earlier than my plan, I got everything done I needed to do yesterday. So to beat the heat, I decided to leave this morning. This will put me well ahead of my plan again in terms of miles hiked, and perhaps I’ll get to Crater Lake a day early also. Scott was this mornings trail volunteer who drove me back to Callahan’s Lodge, where I got picked up a couple days ago.

With more than a full days, rest and my fuel tank topped off with town food, I felt pretty energized starting off the trail today. I felt like I had a lot of momentum going, so I took fewer and shorter breaks because I just wanted to keep it going throughout the day.

The other day I mentioned that Apple voice translation hilariously translated what I said “trail legs” as trail eggs. For the first half of today I felt I was closer to getting my trail legs (eggs?) back.

The second half of the day I lost a little horsepower, but still made good progress.

I heard gunshots from the trail today. That is always disconcerting because that you don’t know if the people who were shooting realize there is a trail with hikers there, or if they do know and are shooting in a completely opposite direction. For about 20 to 30 minutes, I kept hearing the occasional pop pop again, and I just wanted to put some distance between me and that sound as fast as possible.

A lot of berries on this part of the trail

A prominent rock, I think Pilot Rock, you can see from various places around Ashland

Pretty typical trail this morning


And the other side of Pilot Rock (I think)


Another really good view of Mount Shasta


The USFS is a proud sponsor of the "Learnings" Is Not A Word Foundation. Because we don't like learnings of any kind.

A lot of berries


Little Hyatt Reservoir Outlet


<--PREVIOUS                                                                                                      NEXT--> 













No comments:

Post a Comment