2026 PCT Day 18, 01 September 2026 (Tuesday)
Overall PCT Day 134
"A New Month, A New You"
|
Start Location: |
PCT Mi. 1876.2 |
Destination: |
Shelter Cove, Odell Lake, Mi. 1908.2 |
|
PCT Miles Day 134: |
32.0 |
Cum PCT Miles: |
2456.5 |
|
Non-PCT Miles Day 134: |
1.4 |
Cum All Miles: |
2669.7 |
|
PCT Miles Remaining: |
189.8 |
|
|
Elevation Gain Day 134: |
3862 |
Cum Elevation Gain: |
420,613 |
My right ankle felt pretty good upon waking up, just a little swollen and a little tender, but better than when I got to camp last night. Starting off today felt good because my pack is quite a bit lighter without so much water weight. My stretch goal today is to get to Shelter Cove Resort. It’s a long haul, and it will depend on how well my ankle holds up and what the trail conditions look like. I got an early enough start this morning to have to use the headlamp for about a half hour or so. it’s chilly this morning, but not quite as cold as the last two mornings.
I easily did another 10 x 10 today. Everything worked in my favor today. Except for a few places here and there, the trail was pretty good all day. The weather was cool. My body fully cooperated. Water sources were reasonable.
A few days ago, I felt I probably had my long-distance trail legs back. However, because of my ankle, I still couldn’t go at the pace I knew I was capable of. With everything lining up today, including my ankle behaving, I was finally able to go at full pace and see what I could do. I did over 33 miles, and got to Shelter Cove Resort about an hour before I thought I would. And I still felt like I could do more miles if needed.
This is the first day of this trip that I felt like I wasn’t held back by some sort of ache, pain or injury. It was like I was a new hiker today.
I’m in the PCT Campground at Shelter Cove. Other hikers that were already here told me that it’s supposed to start raining tonight and then rain again for much of tomorrow. The rain is supposed to be fairly heavy. So, I will likely just stay at shelter Cove tomorrow. My original plan was to arrive at Shelter Cove tomorrow morning and then stay here all day. So, there is no harm to my plan by staying here through tomorrow. If it does rain tonight, I hope my new tent keeps me dry.
![]() |
| Another great, and very needed, water cache, the Windigo Cache |
![]() |
| The little loop that keeps the watchband in place broke yesterday, so this is my makeshift fix |
![]() |
| Summit Lake, my next water source, and Red Top Mountain |
![]() |
| Summit Lake from lake level |
![]() |
| That trail blaze has been there a while |
![]() |
| A pond by the trail |
![]() |
| Looks like clouds from the incoming storm I keep hearing about |
![]() |
| Today's lunch spot |
![]() |
| Interesting looking little body of water. To me it looks like a puddle aspiring to be a pond. |
![]() |
| That's the most color I've seen yet on this trip |










No comments:
Post a Comment