2026 PCT Day 15, 29 August 2026 (Saturday)
Overall PCT Day 131
"Unplugged"
|
Start Location: |
Just South of Crater Lake, Mi. 1816.0 |
Destination: |
Mazama Village, Mi. 1823.3 |
|
PCT Miles Day 131: |
7.3 |
Cum PCT Miles: |
2376.5 |
|
Non-PCT Miles Day 131: |
1.2 |
Cum All Miles: |
2584.8 |
|
PCT Miles Remaining: |
269.8 |
|
|
Elevation Gain Day 131: |
724 |
Cum Elevation Gain: |
411,055 |
It was cold and a little foggy this morning. No wonder I didn’t want to get out of my tent. But I did, and I was back on the trail right around my normal start time.
One of the great revelations I’ve had in backpacking, is that you get nowhere by sitting around. Well, this morning was quite unusual. Every other day on this trip it has been at least comfortably cool if not warm by about 7 AM. But today it didn’t get there till around 9 AM. It was really quite cold actually.So far, I’ve had pretty good luck on this trip, no real big issues. Today that changed. I got to Mazama Village at Crater Lake National Park, and everything is shut down because they had a power outage. Supposedly the power went out early in the morning, and it’s not entirely unusual for this park to have power outages. Since it’s been almost 9 hours, I hope they get thongs back on soon. I won’t even be able to check into my cabin if the power doesn’t come back on.
I have my biggest resupply box here at Masoma Village, it has almost enough to take me the next 180 miles or so to Bend, Oregon. Since I got here in the morning, it was going be a nero day for me.
In hindsight, even without the power outage, I would probably do things differently. It turns out that there’s really not much to do here in the village, and it’s not really anywhere near the lake. So, if I were to do this again, I’d probably send a resupply box to Fish Lake and another one to maybe Shelter Cove, which is a little bit further up the trail and I would just skip Mazama Village and go straight to the Lake rim and spend some time there. Kind of a disappointment for what I was expecting to get from Crater Lake.
They finally got the power back on around 3:30 PM, and then it took about another 20 minutes or so to get everything up and running and ready to go. So, I was able to retrieve my biggest resupply box for this trip, that was a relief because I had things in there that I need. And I was able to ultimately do everything I needed to do. I just felt like a little bit of a wasted day. But sometimes on these long backpacking trips, things like that are unavoidable.
![]() |
| Entering Crater Lake National Park |

No comments:
Post a Comment