Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Overall PCT Day 140

<--PREVIOUS                                            HOME                                                      NEXT--> 

2026 PCT Day 24, 07 September 2026 (Monday)

Overall PCT Day 140

"Blue Sky And Dry"

 

Start Location:

Bend, OR From Lava Camp Lake, Mi. 1984.1

Destination:

Near Three Fingered Jack, Mi. 2008.5

PCT Miles Day 140:

24.4

Cum PCT Miles:

2556.8

Non-PCT Miles Day 140:

1.0

Cum All Miles:

2779.9

PCT Miles Remaining:

89.5



Elevation Gain Day 140:

3736

Cum Elevation Gain: 

433,178

 

It took a little bit more effort on my part to arrange a ride back to the trail this morning then it has some other parts of the trail, I did finally secure a ride with Michael. I had a back up plan to pay for a ride if nothing else worked out. Michael was right on time and I was back on the trail around 9 AM.

With the weather forecast for the next eight or more days looking pretty perfect, I should be able to hike as long into the day now as I desire, or that makes sense given water, and tent site locations . Of course, forecasts in this area seem about as a ephemeral as a stick of cotton candy in a group of sugar starved kids eating it while running through sprinklers.

Assuming everything goes well, I should be done with this hike next weekend. It’s a bit hard for me to believe that I’m still on track to finish according to my schedule given all the changes to my plan due to the weather.

It was a pretty great day for hiking. No rain, blue skies, and mild temperatures. The first six miles were pretty slow as a lot of it was on hard to traverse lava rock. After that, the trail got quite a bit faster. There were periodic spectacular views of spiky Oregon peaks.

Water today, like a lot of days in Oregon, was a bit challenging. But given my much later than usual start time, and the slow place across the lava rocks, and spending some time to go out of my way to get water, I was pretty happy with the progress I made today.

I’ve now done over 500 miles on this trip.




A panorama from my hotel window Monday morning.  On the left is Mount Bachelor.  Then on the far right, North Sister, then Middle Sister, then South Sister and a couple of others.

 

Neat view of North Sister

This morning's lava rock section is quite a bit more technical than that from a couple days ago, so it's slower going across this stuff.

 
Is this Oregon or Hawaii?

 

A close-up view of Mount Washington

Another spiky Oregon peak, Three Fingered Jack

 
Nice view of Mount Washington and the Sister near the end of the day

Summit Lake, last water source for today

 
Three Fingered Jack near the end of the day.  This is the west slope so the sun is still hitting it.

Sunset from my tentsite below Three Fingered Jack

 

 <--PREVIOUS                                                                                                      NEXT--> 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment